Top Super Foods for Kids
The Baby Food Doctor recommends these top super foods as the most healthy foods for babies, and suggests how to make them YUMMY and favorite foods for the entire family
Cooking with the top super foods: Make sure to check out the various links to utilize the most healthy foods in tons of recipes for baby food and healthy kid's meals and snacks.
1. Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
– This little bean is our first top super food because they are rich in protein and fiber, as well as a wonderful source of folic acid, molybdenum, iron, zinc and magnesium. One cup of chick peas also contains the same amount of calcium as a cup of milk. The fiber in chickpeas helps you and your child to maintain proper blood sugar levels. When chickpeas are consumed with a whole grain they are also a great vegetarian complete protein. Try hummus as a healthy vegetarian protein for babies and
are a great finger food for toddlers.
2. Salmon is one of the most healthy foods because of its rich omega 3 essential fatty acids which do both mom and baby a lot of good. If you are pregnant, emerging research shows the oils in fatty fish like salmon can help you post-partum depression. These amazing essential fats are also the building blocks for the brain and nervous system of the developing fetus and throughout the early years of your child’s life. Pour a mixture of honey, soy sauce and ginger over the fish and broil/grill until cooked through.
3. Sweet Potatoes are among the top super foods and considered some of the most nutritious vegetables available. Rich in phyto-nutrients and high in vitamins A and C. Because of their naturally sweet flavor and creamy texture, these vegetables are appealing to babies and toddlers.
Sweet Pot Apples
are always a baby crowd pleaser.
4. Kale, spinach and other dark leafy greens – These leafy greens boast high amounts of iron and folate and are rich in antioxidants like lutein and zeazanthin protect the eye and aide in its development. These amazing leaves are top super foods because they contain a large amount of vitamin C and good amounts of calcium and vitamin K. Together the calcium and vitamin K are superb bone builders (studies show that vitamin K is needed to activate bone proteins) to help give your baby a strong skeleton. Have you tried
5. Blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of any fresh fruit and there beneficial in many of your baby’s body systems such as the brain and central nervous system, the urinary, heart and eyes. Blueberries have a naturally wonderful flavor and are the perfect size for toddler finger food. Smash a couple with a fork and add them to a variety of other fruit purees for babies, or include them in oatmeal as a warm breakfast.
6. Oats are a good source of soluble and insoluble fiber, they are also rich in phytochemicals, vitamin E, zinc, iron, magnesium and selenium. Oats are a good source of protein and a great way to start the morning. Please note I am not talking about the instant packets of oatmeal which come in flavors, these are full of sugar and additives. Use plain oats and add your own toppings such as nuts, fruit or a drizzle of agave nectar.
7. Coconuts contain medium chain fatty acids, principally lauric acid, which have significant health benefits. These medium chain fatty acids are similar to the ones found in human breast milk, and can boost the immune system, improve digestion, and balance the blood sugar. Coconut oil raises HDL “good” cholesterol and because of its high smoke point, it this oil makes for a great high heat cooking oil. Are you looking for a top super food and a gluten-free flour alternative? Try the high fiber, rich tasting coconut flour for baking, and an added bonus is you will need less sugar in the recipe because of the natural sweetness of the coconut flour.
8. Avocados are one of my top super foods and a favorite in our household because it is a great source of monounsaturated fat; this is the healthy fat that is required for healthy brain development, and is beneficial for the health of the heart. For toddlers try simple and yummy
avocado toast or the green baby sandwich
and for babies serving avocado is as easy and smashing it with a fork – mix with banana for a sweet
9. Lentils - Don’t let the small size fool you, these little legumes are packed full of protein and fiber. You can turn a standard soup into one of the most healthy foods just by adding some lentils, also try to mix with rice for a great lunch/dinner.
10. Quinoa is a protein rich seed that has a fluffy, creamy, slightly crunchy texture and a somewhat nutty flavor when cooked. In addition to being a complete protein (contains all 8 essential amino acids), quinoa is has a good amount of fiber and is high in nutrients such as manganese, magnesium and iron. Quinoa also happens to be a gluten free grain and is an amazing alternative to whole grain rice in many baby food recipes. Try
Turkey Q Meatballs
for dinner tonight.
MORE recipes for baby food utilizing the most healthy foods
Top super foods for kids immune systems
What is an antioxidant and its health benefits
Return to Baby Food Doctor Homepage